Dowen school doctor testifies before coroner inquest, says Sylveter Oromoni wasn’t referred to the hospital because his case was not considered an emergency

A medical doctor employed at the Dowen College, Lagos, Mojisola Bisiriyu on Tuesday February 22, testified that the late Sylvester Oromoni complained of a hip and not leg injury when he presented himself at the school’s sickbay on November 21, 2021.

Channels TV reports that the doctor was testifying as the 8th witness in the coroner’s inquest to unravel the circumstances behind the controversial death of the 12-year-old student. The deceased’s father had alleged that his child was beaten by some senior students which led to his death. The school denied the claim, arguing that he suffered an injury while playing football with his mates.

Testifying before Magistrate Mikhail Kadiri, while answering questions from counsel to the Oromoni family, Femi Falana, doctor Mojisola said that she didn’t notice any visible leg injury and the deceased didn’t complain of any.

“As the school Doctor, my duty is to take care of students in the school and for whatever we see that demands attention, we usually call the parents,” Bisiriyu said.

I saw the deceased on November 22, 2021, he came in with pain on his right side and that was what I saw him for. He came in with a limp and no other complaints.

I spoke with the deceased’s mother, Mrs Oromoni about his health status and she said his guardian will be coming to pick him up the next day. I didn’t refer him to our partner hospital, Lifeline Children’s Hospital in Lekki because his case was not considered an emergency.

He told me he fell down while trying to pick his Bible and it was an injury to his hip. It was after much cajoling that he said he played football. We applied pain relief and massaged the part he complained about.”

The doctor who said she works on weekdays from 8 am to 3 pm also clarified that when her shift was over, the student was treated by the resident nurse, Omobola Kayode.

When Mr Falana asked if she was aware that the deceased could barely walk and was “carried” to the car by his guardian on November 23, the doctor said; “He was assisted out of the sickbay,” adding that she also advised his guardian to take him to the hospital.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: